22/05/2009

fiction fiction fiction fiction cultural outreach program?




























New Yorker Fiction Podcasts

I wanted to title this 'best-kept fiction secret*' with the asterisk conceding that it likely isn't much of a secret to anyone Stateside, or maybe just anyone outside of Jersey CI. But what was drawing me to such an uninspired phrase, a cliché even inaccurate? Hard to say. And I'm gonna blame it on island uninspiration in general. shiiiiit.

But this really is some kind of cross-atlantic -thrown lifebuoy, a voice over the airwaves, a beacon of if not hope then at least some kind of entertainment

Each week some (generally younger) New Yorker-published author chooses, reads and discusses a piece of short fiction from another (generally older) New Yorker-published author. There's Updike, Nabokov, Jorge Luis Borgess, loads of other people I haven't heard of but probably should have...

quite liked Jean Stafford - Children Are Bored on Sundays. 'Invalid Souls'.

I could make more of a list. I haven't listened to them all yet. I can come back.

No comments: